Thursday, 3 August 2017

Destination: Galway City

Galway, Galway, Galway. A delightful city in the west of Ireland. And it's so tiny, which is amazing and makes it perfect for a day trip! There is so much to do and see, but it's possible to squeeze it in to one day. The town centre is small, but there were so many street performers. Galway is a place that holds on dearly to its tradition of the Irish language and tradition. Almost all of the performers were playing trad music or Irish dancing. There are loads of pubs there in the traditional style. There are also loads of adorable shops, including an amazing toy shop that sold foreign made toys. So cute! Also, I adore all of the Irish sign posts. They have a prominence in Galway that often seems lacking in other parts of the country

The River Corrib runs through Galway City, and is apparently amongst the shortest in Europe. My traveling companion and I had an amazing stroll down along it. The water was moving so rapidly, and was remarkably clear. We even had the fortune of seeing a rainbow created by the spray and the gorgeous sun that was out that day- which I must add, is rare enough in the west. Seeing such a vibrant rainbow was magical!

We visited Galway Cathedral before lunch. I didn't want to take any photos there, it just didn't feel right to me. However, it is beautiful, so beautiful inside. It's huge (unsurprising) and has a very good mood about it. The organ in particular was very impressive to me, and I left the church with a fantastic sense of calm.

Lunch that day was spectacular. The veggie special on was Spaetzle! Dude! I adore Germany, and this particular dish is German. I have never seen it outside of Germany before, and so I had to try out the Irish version. I was not disappointed, rather, thrilled. My friend who'd never tried the dish before also had a very positive experience. I was sorry we didn't stay for desert, but we had much to do! Also, they had Irish made lemonade there, which was pricey but tasty. My sister was the one to recommend this restaurant to me, and now I'm recommending it to you. It's called Ard Bia at Nimmos, and is right beside the Spanish Arch.

Being the total nerds we are, we had to check out the NUI Galway campus. It was really lush and pretty, and we spent ages chatting away on the grass. It was a very peaceful spot, hard to imagine it full of students as it will very shortly be.

Our final destination was Salt Hill, a very picturesque beach area along the Atlantic Ocean. The views were spectacular, and the air so so fresh. We headed back into town and got some pub grub before heading home. It was a lovely day out, one which I would love to repeat.

Where's your favourite spot for a day trip?

Post a Comment

Thank you for your words x

Latest Instagrams

© Zu Hause. Design by FCD.